Location

Our offices are located at 5450 Germantown Ave. in the Thomas Armat House. This building is on the national historic register and is dated from 1792. Two doors down is the Deshler-Morris house otherwise known as the Germantown Whitehouse. It was used by George Washington in 1793. The Thomas Armat House (Federal, H. I. 61) stands on property bought by George Bringhurst from John Jarrett in 1726. It was subsequently owned by Robert Waln, Thomas Morgan, who probably built the house about 1792, and James Ashmead. Thomas Armat purchased it in 1807.

This stone house is two and a half stories high and has a cellar. The front portion has a frontage of 24 feet 10 inches and is 41 feet 3 inches deep. The addition to the east dates from the nineteenth century. The shop fronts are still later. It is not known precisely when the two story brick south wing was added but the cellar under it is peculiar in that the east foundation is five feet thick and increases in thickness to seven feet at its junction with the front building. The gable of the roof parallels the street and there is one dormer on the street side.
The house has the usual stair hall, here 5 feet 6 inches wide, with the stair at the rear. The entrance doorway with pilasters and a pediment may be early. There are two rooms to the left of the hall, each about 15 by 19 feet. Each has a fireplace. The second floor has a similar plan. The ceilings of the first and second floors are about the same height, 10 feet. The third floor ceiling is 8 feet. The three winds of the second floor street front are double-hung with plank-front frames and stone sills.

Source: “Historic Germantown” by Harry Tinkcom, Margaret Tinkcom and Grant Miles.

All information herein is believed to be accurate, but is not warranted and is subject to error, change and withdrawal without notice. Brennan & Associates are not certified public accountants.